This recipe originally came from my sister-in-law, Jonelle. She is an amazing cook. I’ve adapted it to use THRIVE ingredients. Using THRIVE made this a very simple and easy meal since all the veggies are all pre-cut and the meat is pre-cut and precooked! I made this last night and it was tasty:
**Photo from LaaLoosh: Not my own kitchen**
- 1 1/2-2 cups THRIVE freeze dried roast beef
- 1/3-1/2 cup THRIVE tomato powder
- 8 cups water
- 1 tsp sage
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp THRIVE beef bullion
- dash of pepper
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4-1/3 c. THRIVE freeze dried celery
- 2-3 T. THRIVE carrot dices
- 2-3 T. THRIVE freeze dried onion
- 1/2 c. THRIVE freeze dried potato dices
Combine tomato powder, water, sage, salt, bullion, pepper, garlic salt and worcestershire sauce in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high for 2 min. Put beef, celery, carrots, onion and potatoes in crockpot. Pour tomato mixture over vegetables and beef. Cook 4-5 hours on low. Makes nine or ten 12-14 oz servings.
- I left the sage, pepper, garlic salt and worcestershire sauce out this last time since those are not ingredients you can get from THRIVE Life (formerly Shelf Reliance). It still tasted great. However, those are all items I keep in my food storage anyway.
- You can also make this very quickly over the stove (not in a crockpot). Just boil everything for about 10-15 minutes to make sure it is all well hydrated.
Total Cost for #10 cans required for this recipe: $157.81**
- You will get: 80 servings and have lots of bullion, tomato powder, celery, onions and carrots left over.
- Cost per 13 oz serving: $0.70 using THRIVE ingredients
- Average cost for 19 oz can of soup at the grocery store = $1.50.
- Savings by using THRIVE ingredients: around $0.19 per 13 oz serving
There is also a great special running right now (until at least 3/1/11) on a meat package that brings the cost per serving even below the case pricing.
288 Servings in Six #10 Cans
- 2 Cans Roast Beef
- 2 Cans Chicken Dices
- 2 Cans Ground Beef
This package brings the cost of the beef from $39.75 per can to $30.67 per can saving you an additional $0.15 per serving.**
If you are interested in purchasing these ingredients, please contact me first to set up a preferred customer account to get the quoted prices!