Hello everyone, Brigette here with my thoughts on the top 10 things we can do right now in order to be prepared for life to go on after teotwawki. (the end of the world as we know it)
10. Get your money in order.
This is a simple step but one most people have the biggest problem with. Getting our money in order can be broken down into 5 easy steps. Remember I said easy not painless.
- Get out debt.
- Reduce your expenses.
- Think of other ways to earn money.
- Learn to barter.
- Start saving money. (But not in the bank.)
9. Get your ducks in a row.
What do I mean by that? Easy, gather all your documentation, passports, birth certificates, insurance papers, bank records, etc. and put them plastic bags, then store them somewhere safe but where you could grab them easily.
Make your plans, whether for bugging out or staying put, and plan how you will communicate with family and friends and those in your inner circle.
8. Get off the grid as much as possible.
Turn of all power for a weekend as see which areas you need to plan better for. Have you thought about or do you have”
- Oil or battery lamps with fuel and spare parts for them?
- Generators, gas or solar.
- Woodstove for heat.
- How will you cook your food?
- Composting toilet or outhouse. (You really want to plan this one ahead of time!)
- What about solar panels.
It’s important you really think about how you would live if the power never came back on. Don’t look at this as a just get through the weekend exercise.
7. Get in shape.
This is a freebie but it pays of in some many ways. You will have to rely on your body more than ever so take care of it and get it in shape.
6. Gather your team.
You have probably heard the old saying it’s not what you know but who you know and in a survival situation that has never been truer. Take time now to develop your inner circle of friends and family. They will be those like-minded individuals you will want to ‘hunker down’ with. Try and get to know your neighbors, which ones you can depend on and which ones to watch out for. Take this time to learn what skills are there and which ones are lacking.
5. Acquire new skills.
Just because you finished school doesn’t mean you finished learning. There are many free or low cost options out there that will teach you how to:
- Learn self-defense.
- Learn how to be the fix-it-person so you can repair any and everything.
- Learn how to hunt, clean, and process your kill.
- Learn to properly clean and repair your guns, bows, and knives.
- Learn to fish.
- Learn to preserve food through canning and drying.
- Learn to sew.
4. Start producing your own food.
If there is a long-term event your home store will eventually run out and you will have to start raising your own food. Don’t wait, if you have the land you can:
- Grow a garden
- Plant fruit trees and bushes.
- Acquire chickens, goats, or even a cow.
- Start composting.
3. Start your home store if you haven’t already done so.
A home store is a huge step toward self-sufficiency. It doesn’t have to be complicated, just start picking up a few extra items every time you shop. Start storing the following:
- Paper products, napkins, paper towels, plates, silverware.
- Food, make sure you are storing a variety of healthy foods.
- Medication, both prescription and over the counter.
- Sanitation, feminine products, baby needs, bathroom tissue. (These items will be as valuable as gold!)
2. Secure your source of water.
Everyone needs water, you cannot survive without it, take the time now to decide how you will get it the event the power is down. Storing water in bottles and rain barrels is a must but you cannot store and indefinite supply of water. Your water storage is simply a means to supply you with water until you can procure another method.
Take a look around you and decide what water is available to you. (Remember, others will be doing the same.) Are you near any fresh water lakes, ponds, or streams? How will you gather it and transport it home? Do you have a well? How will you pump the water if the electricity is down? What methods of purification do you have?
This should go without saying but to many times we get so caught up in our day-to-day lives that we forget to put HIM first. So my number one suggestion on what you can do right now is to get your spiritual life in order. Spending time in prayer will help you to priorities and stay focused on the things that matter the most but most of all it will help you to stay calm and not react out of fear.
There you have it, what I consider to be the top 10 tips for preparing right now. Now it is your turn, I would love to hear your top tips.
Just remember, do something everyday, no matter how small and soon you’ll be amazed at how big it is!